To celebrate the 20th anniversary of writing a column for the Belleville, Ill. News-Democrat, Wally Spiers interviewed himself on video for the newspaper’s website. “Silly, but fun,” he said.
* * *
So… we were wondering… what other great events happened 20 years ago?
- The first McDonald’s opened in Moscow, Russia
- Nelson Mandela, a political prisoner for 27 years, was elected deputy President of the African National Congress.
- May 1990: Microsoft releases Windows 3.0 the breakthrough edition, that helped Microsoft compete with the Mac OS.
- Farrah Fawcett liked her independence and decided that marriage was out of the question. “It kills romance,” the actress said.
- The pilot episode of Seinfeld premired
- Exxon was indicted on five criminal counts for negligence that resulted in the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
- Comedian Roseanne Barr grabed her crotch and spits on the ground when performing the U.S. national anthem at a San Diego Padres ballgame.
- Iraq invaded Kuwait, eventually leading to the Gulf War.
- The first known World Wide Web page was written.
OUCH! Feeling old yet? Imagine how Wally feels….